Maca itself is a root, and comes from a plant found mainly in Peru and Bolivia. I decided to try it out after reading about it’s benefits for those with hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue (oh, and I love trying new things..). Maca powder is now a new member on my favorites-list! I put it in my morning smoothies, and add it to my pre-workout meal when I need a little boost of natural energy! Oh, and did I mention it is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free… (you get the picture).
- Maca can be a bit on the pricey side, but in my opinion it’s worth it. You are getting a lot of nutritional bang for your buck! Try to buy in bulk, and use the powder form to save a bit of cash!
- Available at any health food store, some supermarkets, or online (Costco!)
- Comes in powder form, or in tablets (a bit more expensive)
- Not really… not to be confused with Matcha powder (which is also pretty awesome)
- Mild, nutty, butterscotch flavor (delicious)
- Texture is fine and blends in well as you only use a small amount
Where to Use:
- Add to smoothies, fresh juices, or even coffee for a nutritional boost!
- Add to pre-workout for a bit of extra energy
- Try it out in baked goods, oatmeal, yogurt, or even in homemade salad dressings!
- This little root is LOADED with minerals, vitamins, amino acids, AND plant sterols (iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, selenium, vitamin B, B1, B2, C, D, E, just to name a few..)
- Maca powder is an excellent stimulant-free, natural energizer (no jitters here!)
- Several studies have shown maca powder increases sexual desire in men and women and has no adverse effects on sex hormones!
- Contains fibre, and plant protein, as well as fatty acids!
- Maca has adaptogenic qualities which means it nourishes and helps provide balance within your body’s endocrine system..a.k.a. it promotes and supports normal hormone production… a.k.a. less stress!
To buy or not to TRY…
- Personally, I LOVE this stuff.. Maca can be a bit expensive, but if you buy online and in larger quantities, you’ll save a ton! The natural energy boost it gives is awesome, and I prefer it to almost every other source I’ve tried so far. All in all, I would definitely recommend you try this stuff, and if you find a deal, STOCK UP! When starting out, make sure you take it slow..start with only about 1/2tsp per day, and gradually work your way up to as much as 2TBSP per day.